The August Wilson African American Cultural Center (AWAACC) is located at the gateway of the Cultural District of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Center, named for Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, and Pittsburgh native, August Wilson, showcases nationally and internationally renowned performing and visual artists, as well as supports and nurtures the burgeoning local arts community. This programming connects the entire community to the rich, substantive artistic content that reflects the African Diaspora.
AWAACC programs include visual art, live performance across all disciplines, film, literary series, education, and community engagement. Our facility offers multiple exhibition galleries, a 492-seat theater for performances in all genres, multipurpose spaces for classes, lectures and hands-on learning, community programs and events. The Center’s iconic building was designed by award winning architect, Alison Williams. Offering the community a distinctive mix of cultural spaces as well as a rehearsal studio, sweeping walkways and ample community gathering and meeting spaces, this bold facility serves as a true “center,” a place of coming together where all manner of art, artistic expression and community conversation are welcomed and encouraged.
The President and CEO seeks a Director of Communications and Marketing to create institutional opportunities for storytelling. The Director of Communications and Marketing is a member of the AWAACC leadership team reporting to the President/CEO. A full-time position, the Director of Communications and Marketing will have excellent oral, written, and computer skills; will be point of contact for the AWAACC in press and media situations along with senior consultants; and will possess an ability to work in fast-paced environments and maintain a positive, professional attitude. Confidentiality is key to this position, so candidate must have integrity and professionalism dealing with sensitive organizational information. Attention to detail and ability to build and adhere to project management timelines is key to success in this position. The Director will work with multiple departments to achieve organizational goals.
The Director of Communications and Marketing works collaboratively with the AWAACC leadership to develop and implement the organization’s communication and storytelling initiatives. The ideal candidate will lead strategy for telling the AWAACC story across departments, across various media platforms, and collaborate with development and programming to create a cohesive communication approach in the city of Pittsburgh and beyond.
The Director of Communications and Marketing duties include, but are not limited to:
- Establish and drive a multi-channel communications strategy and manage communications calendars for all AWAACC programs both on-site and in the community, including our flagship festival, the Pittsburgh International Jazz Festival.
- Design ticket sales strategies for ticketed events and work with programming and development staff to build audience development strategy for free programs.
- Write press releases and follow up media alerts for AWAACC events and initiatives.
- Manage media relations and continue growing contact list of media members and influencers.
- Maintain marketing and communication budgets and ensure compliance.
- Manage the creation of institutional brochures, pamphlets, annual reports, newsletters, etc.
- Lead the creation and distribution of digital, video, audio, and content for multi-platform communications.
- Develop marketing assets for the organization, including newsletters, email marketing, program promotion, television and video content, and social media content.
- Supervise the social media manger to develop timely and engaging content across all social media platforms
- Schedule marketing collateral distribution with street team
- Work closely with marketing consultants to schedule and execute programmatic marketing campaigns and align them with the overall institutional marketing strategy.
- Oversee the documentation and archiving of all programs and events, in collaboration with the programming team.
- Ensure up-to-date messaging and content on all AWAACC-owned websites. Interface with web developer/designer to make changes and improvements.
- Track impressions across various platforms, make data-driven decisions, and advise leadership team colleagues in making data-driven decisions.
- Maintain AWAACC brand integrity across all platforms and collateral.
- Represent AWAACC in interviews, at industry events, conferences, and other relevant occasions.
- At least 8+ years of relevant experience
- A deep commitment to arts, diversity, and culture
- Experience as a writer and editor with a focus in art, performance, and storytelling.
- Experience with website content management.
- Proficiency in many social media platforms with eye and interest in innovative new ways to tell the AWAACC story.
- Ability to work individually and collaboratively and manage ongoing and time-sensitive projects across departments.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The August Wilson African America Cultural Center is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair treatment of our employees and constituents across culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.