Event Assistant (Part Time)
The August Wilson African American Cultural Center is located at the gateway of the Cultural District of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Center, named for Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, and Pittsburgh native, August Wilson, showcases nationally and internationally renowned performing and visual artists, as well as supports and nurtures the burgeoning local arts community. This programming connects the entire community to the rich, substantive artistic content that reflects the African Diaspora.
The August Wilson African American Cultural Center offers multiple exhibition galleries, a 492-seat theater for performances in all genres, multipurpose spaces for classes, lectures and hands-on learning, community programs and events. The Center is housed in an iconic building designed by award winning architect, Alison Williams. Offering the community, a distinctive mix of cultural spaces as well as a rehearsal studio, sweeping walkways and ample community gathering and meeting spaces, this bold facility serves as a true “center,” a place of coming together where all manner of art, artistic expression and community conversation are welcomed and encouraged.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The primary responsibility of this position is to coordinate activities relevant to AWAACC presentations and event rentals. The Event Assistant will be responsible for overseeing events alongside the Sr. Manager Events & Sales and the Operations Coordinator. This is a part-time/casual, non-exempt position with widely varying hours depending on the work to be done.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting the events team with a high number of events, ranging from small meetings to Galas.
- Accompanying the Sr. Manager Events & Sales to both internal and external events
- Supporting the Sr. Manager Events & Sales with logistical and administrative support
- Attending all assigned meetings to act as a second point of contact as needed
- Ad-hoc duties at events including, but not limited to, guest list management, showing guests to tables and taking coats
- Helping set up, execute, and dismantle events efficiently through to completion
- Oversee events as the lead point of contact when assigned
- Creative and used to thinking outside the box
- Excellent networker
- Passion for events
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Personable and presentable
- Eager to contribute new ideas
- Proven project management skills
- Event management experience preferrable
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access as well as Google Suite including Docs, Sheets, Slides, Gmail and Drive.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills. Projects and productions span from small meetings to very large festivals with a range of clientele and stakeholders.
- The ability to work well under pressure and prioritize in a multi-task environment with often different and sometimes conflicting personalities is essential.
This is a very busy, fast-paced environment which requires flexibility in adjusting to changing priorities and demands. Safety, guest service and teamwork are primary values in this Department.
The sound and light levels in the work environment, particularly for theatrical events, can vary greatly. Production team members must be capable of dealing with while monitoring work environments where it is loud and/or dusty, where lighting levels vary, and where many distractions happen simultaneously.
August Wilson African American Cultural Center is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair treatment of our employees and constituents across culture, socio-economic status, race, marital or family situation, gender identity or expression, age, ethnicity, color, religious beliefs, physical ability, veteran status or sexual orientation.