The August Wilson African American Cultural Center (AWAACC) is located at the gateway of the Cultural District of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Center, named for Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, and Pittsburgh native, August Wilson, showcases nationally and internationally renowned performing and visual artists, as well as supports and nurtures the burgeoning local arts community. This programming connects the entire community to the rich, substantive artistic content that reflects the African Diaspora.
The August Wilson African American Cultural Center offers multiple exhibition galleries, a 492-seat theater for performances in all genres, multipurpose spaces for classes, lectures and hands-on learning, community programs and events. The Center is housed in an iconic building designed by award winning architect, Alison Williams. Offering the community, a distinctive mix of cultural spaces as well as a rehearsal studio, sweeping walkways and ample community gathering and meeting spaces, this bold facility serves as a true “center,” a place of coming together where all manner of art, artistic expression and community conversation are welcomed and encouraged.
The AWAACC needs an enthusiastic and motivated Senior Manager of Education & Community Engagement to create an education and community engagement strategy for the organization.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for providing financial and organizational support for the AWAACC through short, medium, and long-range projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following are examples but are not limited to the various types of functions required.
- Process and record the invoices, checks, credit card disbursements and journal entries into QuickBooks in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Assist with deposits, credit card remittances and correct identification and recording funding sources.
- Assist with event planning operations including AWAACC Presents festivals.
- Compile and organize financial reports and analyses to assist in audit planning, audit evidence collection and audit testing for the annual audit.
- Create and analyze the company’s income statement, balance sheet and statement of cash flows.
- Prepare and record monthly payroll for employees and update new hires and terminations in the functional expenditure distribution.
- Assist in the development of budget analysis and forecasts through Excel.
- Collect and compile necessary data to timely record and file PA non-employee tax withholding and the sales data for creating the company’s alcoholic beverage tax reports.
- Assist in the integration of the Tessitura system with the QuickBooks system.
- Assist with the preparation of financial reports for foundation and corporate grant applications.
- Assist with preparing and compiling tax reports for filing the AWAACC’s annual tax return.
- Write and implement internal control procedures and internal audit tests at the AWAACC.
- Other duties and analysis as assigned.
- High level of organizational, administrative and communication skills
- Professional demeanor and appearance
- High level verbal, written and public presentation abilities
Education / Experience
- A minimum requirement is a Bachelor’s Degree
- A Master’s Degree is preferred
- Two years of work experience
- Personal computer and word processing (Word, Excel, SharePoint) experience required
- QuickBooks experience is required.
August Wilson African American Cultural Center is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair treatment of our employees and constituents across culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.